Monday, June 16, 2008

On Technology: A Recovering Luddite's Perspective

Okay, I admit it. I am completely, thoroughly, totally, one-hundred percent in love with technology.

Yep, that's me, the woman who celebrated National Turn Off the TV Week in 1998 by chucking the only television we owned onto the Cambridge curb. (Reduce, reuse, recycle -- it was gone by morning. I loved that about Cambridge . . .) \

Since the start of 2007 I have personally purchased a Blackberry, four iPods, a rocking docking station for said iPods, and 47 inch LCD television. The Blackberry is awesome; my emails are rarely very important, but honestly, it rocks to sit poolside and email the babysitter about Saturday night. The iPods are great because they have brought music back into our home. And watching sports and "Planet Earth" on the new TV is just plain gorgeous.

The most recent purchase is the pair of iPod Shuffles -- purple for the girl, silver for the boy -- in preparation for the kids' first transatlantic trip next month. While I am slightly disturbed to see my enfants walking around with headphones on, I do love that they love music. I love that Ethan sings along with no inhibition, butchering the lyrics to "You Can Call Me Al" without shame. And I am most tickled because this small investment already seems to give them something they need: little spaces of their own within the context of a family on the move. In the car or on the plane, each can tune the rest of us out, make a personal choice to listen to The Sound of Music soundtrack on repeat, and offend no one. Would I want them to tune us out at the dinner table or during a game of Monopoly? No. But their need for space and boundaries and autonomy is served well by the little iPod Shuffle. Score another point for technology.

No comments: